1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
Carol D’Anca MS clinical nutrition. I am a board certified nutritionist and principal of my own company – Food not Meds.
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
My grandparents who emigrated from Italy. Their garden and lifestyle still influences me today.
3. What did they do to inspire you?
My grandfather inspired me by the garden he had. It was beautiful, tranquil and my retreat, and it fed 11 people in the family. My grandmother inspired me with her “street smart” business skills that kept the family afloat financially. She was a little Neapolitan woman who did business with the best of the business people.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
My family tells me I inherited my grandmother’s business skills and they are probably right. I became a successful business woman – the only female officer in a worldwide offices of an international medical device company. Then, following a 15 year journey with a family member who has heart disease, I returned to my “roots” and found the answers to many of life’s mysteries in my grandfather’s garden.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
I convey the message in how I live, work and the foods we eat. I’m writing a book that will be published later this year and they will be able to read the story when they can fully understand it.
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
The message is nonverbal. It would be the experience of another sublime garden that portrays family, life and health giving food.
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?