1. Your name and title? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
Saralyn Mark, MD, President-SolaMed Solutions, LLC, former Senior Medical Advisor to the DHHS Office on Women’s Health, author, physician and public speaker.
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
My mother inspired me in two ways-to not follow some of her non-healthy habits such as smoking and lack of exercise and her words of caution about not consuming enough calcium in my diet and to avoid the sun to prevent skin cancer.
3. What did they do to inspire you?
My mother supported my sports activities such as gymnastics and encouraged her children to eat a healthy diet filled with vegetables and fruits.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
My mother was a smoker and had lactose intolerance which made it difficult for her to eat dairy products. She suffered from osteoporosis and had many fractures. She died in the hospital from a hospital acquired infection after being admitted for one her fractures.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
I speak in schools about health and science and share important messages that students can use in their lives to lead healthy lives and to be encouraged to pursue science as well. As Senior Medical Advisor to the Office on Women’s Health, I help create the National Bone Health Campaign which educated girls, ages 9-12, and their parents about their bone health. In my new book, StellarMedicine: A Journey Through the Universe of Women’s Health (Brick Tower Press), I also share stellar messages to help lead a healthy and balanced life.
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
It is important for children to be active for their bones, muscles and weight control. One does not need to go to a gym to get exercise–the entire world can be their playground!
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?