By Evelyn Kelly
Ringworm is no worm but a fungal infection that affects the skin at various places like scalp, nails, arms, legs, back and the groin area. Different types of ringworm affect different parts of the body. Since, it is highly contagious, immediate attention is required. The spots formed as a result of ringworm are embarrassing. Luckily, they can be cured at home with some simple yet effective methods.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is a powerful natural fungicide. Take 100% tea tree oil.
• Clean the area
• Apply the oil directly with the help of a cotton ball
• Repeat it 2-3 times in a day
With regular application, the spots may take a minimum of two weeks to clear off.
Warning: Some people are allergic to tea tree oil. They should dilute the oil before applying on the spots.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has anti-fungal properties which makes it an excellent treatment.
• Soak a cotton ball in the apple cider vinegar
• Smear the infected part of the skin with this cotton ball
• Repeat it 4-5 times in a day
Stinging sensation is normal. Dilute the oil to reduce the affect if you experience a strong sensation.
The gel contained in the leaves soothes the itching and irritation caused by the fungus besides preventing ringworm spots.
• Cut the fleshy leaf
• Take out the gel
• Apply the gel directly on the affected part of the skin
• Let it dry and leave it overnight
• Wash it off the next morning
Repeat the procedures till the spots fade off.
Garlic has a natural anti fungal agent, ajoene in it. This is highly effective in preventing fungal infections like ringworm.
• Take a garlic clove
• Cut in into two pieces
• Rub it in the affected part
Make a thick paste of it and put it on the affected part
Keep the clove slices on the affected skin and cover them with a bandage
Leave overnight. Wash it off in the morning.
This kitchen spice is a wonderful natural healer of ringworm.
• Extract juice from the root of turmeric.
• Apply it directly on the spot with a cotton ball
• Repeat this at least 2-3 times in a day
Keep doing it till the infection subsides.
The oil alone is capable of killing the fungus completely due to its strong anti fungal properties.
• Apply a few drops of lavender oil on the infected skin
Another remedy using lavender oil
• Mix a few drops of lavender oil with a teaspoon of jojoba oil
Apply it directly with a cotton ball. The infection will subside in a few days
Mustard seeds are helpful in preventing ringworm.
• Make a paste by grinding some mustard seeds
• Apply directly on the infected skin
• Let it dry
• Rinse off
• Repeat it 2-3 times in a day
The spots will be eliminated in a few weeks.
Papaya has an enzyme papain in it which helps in eliminating ringworm spots.
• Cut the fruit
• Take the fleshy slices
• Place the slices on the affected part
• Bandage them with a plastic wrap to keep them at one place for a few hours
• Remove the bandage
• Wash off
Vinegar and salt
A combination of vinegar and salt is highly effective against ringworm.
• Make a paste of vinegar and salt
• Put it on the skin directly
• Let it stay for 4-5 minutes
This treatment heals ringworm really fast.
These were some methods to eliminate the ringworm spots completely. If you are suffering from ringworm, employ these methods.
– Evelyn Kelly is a fitness enthusiast and a fellow writer. She contributes for various online health publications that mainly cover skin care measures, health, fitness and sports. She guides people about skin infections such as ringworm, herpes, impetigo, staph, MRSA etc. I feel your platform is best to share my views. She is very expressive and always wants to share her professional experience with her audience.