As part of my new web series, The Role Model In You, here is my most recent interview. The Role Model In You series discusses how individuals were influenced as a child to lead a healthy lifestyle. It covers who influenced these individuals, the changes they made in their life to be healthy, and the message they would like to convey to the youth of today. Our guests include doctors, soccer stars, Super Bowl champions, NBA players, Olympic gold medalist, entrepreneurs, celebrities, and just regular people looking to share their story. I hope you enjoy it!
1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
Neven Lee Gibbs, Fr, SSG CAV (Ret). Currently a writer, entertainer, actor, Counselor and generally retired otherwise. As in retired Farrier, Teamster, Sargent, Electrical Worker, IT Tech, Cowboy, Hired gun/Security and Martial Arts Instructor.
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
Dad, Old Cowboy Heroes. They lived a healthy active lifestyle that later influenced me to emulate. Even Pat Boone who always drank milk in the Saloon was part of the influence to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
3. What did they do to inspire you?
They were the Good Guys. They didn’t get drunk and sought to do the right thing. They lived by their word, hand and deed.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
I knocked down Bullies, stood up for the other kids, ate everything put in front of me except liver and peas. Hate peas. That Mom and Dad ate. Good fare common to our culture. Lessons I’ve passed down to my own and the Soldiers I was in command of.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
Now I deal with older folks, and yes, they also need to be told to eat their veggies now and then. Encourage them to dance with live music and to grab for the best in life with my comedy and stories. One of my recent magazine articles is on “Getting kids to eat what they raise”.
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
Eat right, live right and when in doubt, do the right thing. Also, the most important thing to remember, never forget how to play.
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?
Not particularly. My name is all over the internet at online bookstores.