Anxiety has become a very common health problem that is often treated with various medications. Although pharmaceuticals can be effective, they are not treating the underlying cause of the problem which can be as simple as sleep deprivation.
Here are 5 simple steps that you can take to help decrease anxiety:
1) First, sleep between 8 and 9 hours in order to help balance your stress hormones.
2) Keep the bedroom completely dark to ensure a good night’s sleep which elevates feel good hormones like melatonin.
3) Eat during the day every three to four hours; a snack or meal that contains protein. This will help to maintain optimum blood sugar levels which will help to balance stress hormones.
4) It is important to avoid stimulants such as chocolate and coffee especially after 3:00 pm because it will increase stress hormones and disrupt the circadian rhythm.
5) Most importantly incorporate some kind of exercise into your daily routine. Exercise helps to normalize the stress response and can be very effective in treating anxiety. It is important to include some kind of daily moving relaxation techniques such as yoga or tai chi that also help to decrease anxiety levels.
In addition to the above techniques, the underlying causes of anxiety can be helped with nutrition, herbs, and vitamins to bring the body back into balance allowing us to relax and once again have a sense of well being. There are various blood tests and other assessment methods that can determine what deficiencies your body has. Your doctor can then prescribe supplements to help heal the underlying causes of your anxiety.
Note: Please seek the guidance from your doctor to determine which supplements would be appropriate for you.
– Dr. Jillian Finker, Naturopathic Physician has medical clinics in Connecticut and Vermont along with a private practice in Bellmore, New York. She specializes in women’s health and is an expert in natural medicine. Dr. Finker has been selected as the best Alternative Doctor on Long Island for 2011 and 2012. She has appeared on various television programs and acts as a consultant for a several international companies. Her work has been featured in various books and major magazines nationwide. It’s About Wellness Naturally, her latest publication will be available soon on Amazon.