By Dr. Michael Wald
Continued from part 1 of this article…..
Answer: Chlorella is a type of green algae, which is a fantastic source of inexpensive proteins, healthy fats and carbohydrates. It contains approximately 45% protein and 20% each of fats and carbohydrates. “Cracked cell wall” chlorella refers to a process by which the cell wall of the single celled chlorella algae is broken, helping to release its nutritional contents that otherwise would resist digestive enzymes and acids in the human body.
6. What are the benefits of consuming kelp in green food supplements?
Answer: Kelp is a form of brown seaweed algae and a rich source of vitamins A, B, C, D, E, K and the mineral iodine. Kelp is a high nutritional content plant food, that when combined in a comprehensive green food helps to cover a variety of nutritional bases.
7. Would consuming spirulina, chlorella and kelp be tantamount to consuming a “whole food”?
Answer: A whole food does not exist. This is a term that refers to a product or foodstuff that is considered to contain an exceptionally well-balanced variety of proteins, healthy fats and carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, herbs, fibers and other nutritional compounds. A “whole food” does not imply that the food product contains everything that an individual needs each day or throughout their lifetime. Together with a healthy diet a “wholefood” can serve as “nutritional insurance” towards helping to ensure an exceptional nutritional effort.
8. What are some of the nutritional benefits of cereal grasses such as wheat, barley and alfalfa?
Answer: Those with gluten or wheat allergy and/or sensitivity should avoid wheat and barley. Alfalfa is not a gluten grain. If one is not allergic to these foods then they serve to provide unprocessed fibers, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.
9. Are there anti-inflammatory properties with green powders? If so, why is this important?
Answer: It is not generally recognized in medical research and clinical arenas that inflammation is the fundamental process causing cellular, tissue, organ and organ system degeneration. Green powders contain hundreds to tens-of- thousands of plant compounds suspected or well-established to effect many known inflammatory pathways in the body including interleukens, interferons, cytokines and other inflammatory modifying pathways.
10. Are there any detoxifying properties of these greens? If so, what are they?
Answer: Many greens provide a large number of compounds that are known to enhance the body’s detoxification mechanisms including many of the cytochrome P450 enzyme systems in the liver and other organs; monoamine oxidase systems (MAOs) and Phase I, Phase II and Phase III detoxification mechanism.
11. When choosing a green powder formula, what other items can be beneficial (e.g. probiotics, digestive enzymes)?
Answer: The addition of probiotics to green powered formulations can add an additional health benefit. Probiotics are helpful for detoxification, modification of immunity, improvement of inflammation control and thrive in an environment high in live enzymes and fibers such as green foods. Green foods are exceptionally high in naturally occurring plant enzymes; additional enzymes added to green powders could enhance the healing benefits of such products.
– Dr. Michael Wald, aka The Blood Detective, is the director of nutritional services at Integrated Medicine of Mount Kisco, located in Westchester New York. He has appeared on ABC World News Tonight with Diane Sawyer, Channel 11 PIX, Channel 12 News, CNN, The Food Network and other media outlets. Dr. Wald earned the name Blood Detective for his reputation to find problems that are often missed by other doctors. He earned an MD degree, is a doctor of chiropractic and a certified dietician-nutritionist. He is also double-board certified in nutrition. He has published over a dozen books with three additional titles due for release late 2013 including: Frankenfoods – Genetically Modified Foods: Controversies, Lies & Your Health and Gluten-A-Holic: How to Live Gluten Free and the Blood Detective’s Longevity Secrets. Dr. Wald can be reached at: www.intmedny.com or www.blooddetective.com or by calling: 914-242-8844.