This article is courtesy of PRWeb, please share your thoughts below…..
Cool temperatures, light rainfalls and beautiful autumn leaves signal that fall is nearly here. These same signs tell lawns that fall has come and winter is on the way, too. End the season with a bang by rejuvenating the lawn and prepping for the cooler season ahead.
Early autumn is the best time to repair damage, browning or dead spots, fertilize and improve the yard. Follow these five tips from experts at The Espoma Organic Company to have a greener, lusher and healthier than ever yard next spring.
Help The Lawn Hang On All Winter Long
1. Know How to Mow. Continue mowing as needed throughout the fall months. Keep the mower blades high (3” or higher) to encourage healthy roots.
2. Rake it up. Remove fallen leaves as soon as possible. Leaves that haven’t been cleaned up tend to become a soggy mess that can suffocate grass and breed diseases. Either rake or use a lawnmower with a collection bag to keep on top of the leaves. Compost leaves to use as mulch in the spring.
3. Agree to Reseed. If the entire lawn looks dry and brown, overseed the whole thing. If only certain areas look bare, reseed only those spots. First, perform a soil test and improve if needed. Then cut grass lower than normal and remove clippings. Level, rake soil smooth and spread Espoma Organic Lawn Starter. With a broadcast spreader, apply a seed that best suits your region and weather. Finally, water.
4. Prepare with Care. Get the lawn ready for the cooler weather ahead by fortifying it with nutrients. Fertilize now with Espoma’s organic fall winterizer. A fall feeding will promote growth, increase winter hardiness and helps lawns recover from drought. Apply organic fall winterizer to a dry lawn after seeding and mowing. Use a drop or broadcast spreader and be certain to overlap slightly to prevent striping. For best results, water lightly after the application if rain is not expected within 24 hours.
5. Fido First. Always use organic products. Harsher, chemical lawn products can be eaten, ingested or passed on to pets (and brought into the home). This exposure has been linked with a higher risk of canine cancer. Keep pets alive longer by making sure their paws are safe by using organic lawn products.
The Espoma Company has been the pioneer in natural gardening solutions since 1929. Espoma provides an extensive selection of natural products that work in harmony with nature and are safe for people, pets and the planet. The company produces more than 100 products to cover the nutritional needs of plants and to grow beautiful lawns and gardens. Visit espoma.com for more information and tips about organic lawn care.