A role model is someone others respect and look to as a good example. They try to make good decisions, put others first and often imitated by those around them. They “think before they act….not act before they think.” They are the people we want our children to be around, whether it is a teacher, coach or family member. Your Health Journal wanted to highlight some special individuals who are good role models and allow them to share their stories here. Enjoy!
1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
Teri Dreher, RN, CMM, BCPA
Patient Advocate, founder of NShore Patient Advocates in Chicago. Founder of the non profit, SeniorsAlone.org.
After 39 years as an ICU nurse, I started my own professional patient advocacy business in 2011; now also have a nonprofit advocacy company as well for lower income clients
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to be healthy? What was their relationship to you?
My father was a Marine Corps officer, a strong leader, who came from Swedish parents who were missionaries in India and China
3. What did they do to inspire you?
Instilled pride in my legacy and my own leadership abilities, taught me that women can achieve anything that men can, and that he expected great things from me
4. How did their lesson change your life?
As the oldest of nine children, I have always been a leader wherever I found myself. I won my high school’s award for showing most leadership in the class (first woman to do so) and was promoted to leadership positions in every job. I always took leadership and initiative to change systems for the better, train and mentor and guide new nurses, etc.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
Teaching them that they can achieve anything they set their minds to; go for the stars, never settle for less than they were created to do, stay focused and intentional, get a mentor
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
Healthy is a combination of mental, physical and spiritual parts of our life. Take care of all three areas to become the best version of yourself.
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?