A role model is someone others respect and look to as a good example. They try to make good decisions, put others first and often imitated by those around them. They “think before they act….not act before they think.” They are the people we want our children to be around, whether it is a teacher, coach or family member. Your Health Journal wanted to highlight some special individuals who are good role models and allow them to share their stories here. Enjoy!
1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
Rashida Brown, Fashion Designer, 24
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
Matthew is the person that inspired me as a child to eat healthy and that is my big brother.
3. What did they do to inspire you?
Growing up me and my brother suffered from Eczema and the flare-ups we would have would sometimes come from the food we were eating.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
The lesson is still helping me today watch what I eat, because my eczema has not went away, but my brother eczema cleared all the way up due to him changing his eating habits and watching the things he ate, which has inspired me to take initiative and minimize all the fast food I eat on a regular, it’s not an easy thing to do, so I’m slowly weaning myself off of my favorite not so healthy foods. Of course as a child hearing those things went in one ear and out the other, because I wanted to eat what I liked.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
I do I have nieces and nephews who I constantly tell them about the certain things they eat are not good for them or will do more bad then good when they get older.
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
To stay active and make sure you are getting the nutrients your body needs. Also minimize the amount of junk food you eat, it can help you as you grow older.
7. Do you have a website you would like to promote …web address only?