As part of my new web series, The Role Model In You, here is my most recent interview. The Role Model In You series discusses how individuals were influenced as a child to lead a healthy lifestyle. It covers who influenced these individuals, the changes they made in their life to be healthy, and the message they would like to convey to the youth of today. Our guests include doctors, soccer stars, Super Bowl champions, NBA players, Olympic gold medalist, entrepreneurs, celebrities, and just regular people looking to share their story. I hope you enjoy it!
1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
Dr. Marc Tinsley, The People Repairman and Founder of Fitness for the Rest of Us, 45 years old, professional health, wellness, and fitness speaker and consultant.
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
Jack LaLanne. He was a fitness celebrity.
3. What did they do to inspire you?
I was interested in bodybuilding and fitness growing up. Many of the big name bodybuilders were over the top and more interested in their physique instead of fitness. The even did unhealthy things to look better. Jack LaLanne focused more on health and wellness.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
I used to do things that I thought were healthy but weren’t because I saw others doing it. I was stressing my body too much, so much that it was actually dangerous. When I started to follow the example of Jack LaLanne it was safer and healthier.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
I do. I speak to children in schools and in my practice about doing things that are healthy instead of things that enhance the way that you look or perform athletically.
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
Fitness isn’t as much about how your body looks as it is about how your body works.
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?