A role model is someone others respect and look to as a good example. They try to make good decisions, put others first and often imitated by those around them. They “think before they act….not act before they think.” They are the people we want our children to be around, whether it is a teacher, coach or family member. Your Health Journal wanted to highlight some special individuals who are good role models and allow them to share their stories here. Enjoy!
1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
Amanda Minton, 30, Studio Owner
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
My Aunt Melanie
3. What did they do to inspire you?
She lived out of town– in Southern California (very cool) and every time she came to visit she was always so happy, full of energy, ready to play, give me attention (the kind that kids love and parents can’t stand like “watch me hoola hoop 250 times in a row!”) and she showed me new, interesting, delicious meals. Sometimes as simple as celery with peanut butter.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
That was the kind of adult I wanted to be. Both of my parents hated their jobs and were tired all the time. I saw that it was possible to live a fun, happy, energetic, & interesting kind of life and I wanted to do that.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
I do. When I teach kids yoga I try to talk about healthy things going on locally that they might not be aware of, like “did you know you can make your own peanut butter? And there’s a guy at the farmers market who makes Pistachio butter?!”
If they take this home to their parents they might get outside, get outside as a family, discover a new treat, eat something fresh/ local that doesn’t come in plastic, or shop small. If I’m a role model for even one of those things it’s going in the win column.
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
Find one vegetable you love, and go from there.
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?