A role model is someone others respect and look to as a good example. They try to make good decisions, put others first and often imitated by those around them. They “think before they act….not act before they think.” They are the people we want our children to be around, whether it is a teacher, coach or family member. Your Health Journal wanted to highlight some special individuals who are good role models and allow them to share their stories here. Enjoy!
1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
Stacy Harris, internationally-known author, influencer, country-music historian, academician, music industry and popular culture analyst, pop culture expert, celebrity journalist, ethnomusicologist, columnist, broadcast journalist, feature writer, media personality, tastemaker, public speaker, pundit, arts critic, technical writer, axiologist, lifestyle and relationship expert, entertainment entrepreneur, community activist, iconoclast and polymath, age 67
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
3. What did they do to inspire you?
My mother provided the penultimate example of living in the present and dealing with life’s adversity by living a life of service to others.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
It inspired me to become a community activist (for open housing) and a Head Start volunteer at an early age, ultimately earning me a VFW “outstanding teenager award” and, as an adult, a dedication to philanthropy.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
I find teaching by example to be the most persuasive message.
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
Steer clear of, or, failing that, minimize use of known obstacles to good health: Vaping, illegal drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, unprotected sex, lying, cheating, stealing, speeding, procrastinating- anything stressful that shortens lifespan.
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?