Welcome to a new category of my blog simply called ‘Healthy Tips.” Many times, when I write articles for various publications, I need to find sources for the story. Recently, I wrote an article for Yahoo Shine (click here) about keeping kids healthy. I was looking for experts and parents to chime in and give their favorite ‘tips’ to help kids (and their families) lead a healthy lifestyle.
The feedback for the story was amazing. The sources had some fantastic points of view that could not be ignored, and I thought their opinions should be viewed on the Your Health Journal web site.
So, enjoy my new series, with some ‘great’ insight from some ‘great’ people giving exceptional and educational points of view.
1. With kids, the most important is to keep them active and away from the TV. Make the activity interesting and fun and make it a game too as they will be more responsive to join in and will actually enjoy the physical activity.
2. Provide them with a Pedometer and give them a goal to achieve in the allotted time frame, and offer a reward on completion
3. Suggest kids try many different sports and activities, so they can work on their social skills as well as finding a physically activity that is fun and suitable for them
4. As for diet, have them check out choosemyplate.gov, as it talks about the serving size as well as what to eat in different meals
5. Parents have to be great role models. For example, if the parents make a child eat fruit, the parents must too. If the parents are healthy, then family is healthy. It starts from the top.
– Jeremy Aniciete, the Lead Personal Trainer at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago