A role model is someone others respect and look to as a good example. They try to make good decisions, put others first and often imitated by those around them. They “think before they act….not act before they think.” They are the people we want our children to be around, whether it is a teacher, coach or family member. Your Health Journal wanted to highlight some special individuals who are good role models and allow them to share their stories here. Enjoy!
1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
Danielle Radin, digital anchor/producer and TV reporter for Fox 5 San Diego
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
As a child, my mother enrolled me in a ton of sports growing up in Hermosa Beach. I was in everything from soccer, to Tae Kwon Do, figure skating, and rhythmic gymnastics. But the sport I enjoyed the most was dance. I was a ballerina, hip hop dancer and jazz dancer from elementary school through college. I also did some ballroom like salsa and swing dancing.
3. What did they do to inspire you?
My mom realized at a young age that I had a lot of energy that I needed to funnel into something. This was inspiring because it gave me an outlet that was both healthy and fun.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
It changed my life because I became driven. When you have goals in sports or other hobbies it gives you a target to work towards.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
Absolutely! I work with kids in my profession and I always tell them to reach for their goals through hard work and focus.
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
I would tell kids to try to get outside! It’s easy to play video games or go on social media, but playing sports, hiking, and getting out in nature helps to bring balance. I would also recommend getting into some hobby, whether it be music, sports, or something else to channel their mental energy.
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?