By Robert S. Rosenberg
Near the end of summer we all have a hard time adjusting back to our regular sleep schedule – especially our kids! Here are 9 tips to help get your kids to adjust from their summer sleep schedule to their back-to-school sleep schedule:
* Gradually get back into the school sleep-wake schedule 2 weeks before school
* Maintain that schedule – even on weekends!
* Establish a relaxing bedtime routine
* Avoid vigorous physical activities after dinner
* Avoid video games, television and other electronics within 2 hours of sleep
* Avoid large meals close to bedtime
* Avoid all caffeine-containing foods and drinks within 6 hours of bedtime
* A dark room + comfortable temperatures = better sleep environment
* Be a role model- Establish your own sleep-wake schedule and STICK TO IT!
– Robert S. Rosenberg, DO, FCCP has over 20 years of experience in the field of sleep medicine. Board certified in sleep medicine, pulmonary medicine, and internal medicine, Dr. Rosenberg serves as the Medical Director of the Sleep Disorders Center of Prescott Valley, Arizona and sleep medicine consultant for Mountain Heart Health Services in Flagstaff, Arizona. He is a contributing sleep expert blogger at EverydayHealth.com and his advice has appeared in O, The Oprah Magazine, Prevention, Women’s Health, Woman’s World, Parenting, and Ladies’ Home Journal, among others. Dr Rosenberg is the author of Sleep Soundly Every Night; Feel Fantastic Every Day (Demos Health). He appears regularly on television and radio and lectures throughout the country on Sleep Medicine. Learn more about Dr. Rosenberg by visiting AnswersForSleep.com.