By Kac Young PhD, ND, DCH
A close friend or relative has just had a heart attack or a cardio vascular incident. You try to be helpful. You want them to start making changes so they live a longer and healthier life. Do you tell them?
• You shouldn’t eat that; it causes heart disease.
• You should have more willpower and resist eating unhealthy foods.
• If you don’t change your lifestyle, you’ll die.
• You have to give up your favorite foods and eat only vegetables and beans.
What they hear is that you are trying to parent them. They feel failure and guilt. They become resistant and even defiant. However, your concern can have the opposite effect on them to actually inspire and encourage them. What if you said:
• Eating more healthfully will give you more energy and vitality to support better heart health.
• Healthy eating is a pleasurable and exciting way to experience life.
• You are your own best doctor. You’re the one in charge of making heart-healthy eating decisions for yourself.
• Physical activity raises your heart rate and exercises your heart muscles making you strong and resistant to cardio incidents. You’ll feel great when you exercise.
• You deserve a vibrant, heart-healthy life and you have all the power you need to reverse this condition.
• You don’t have to be perfect to be heart-healthy, just conscientious.
• Let me help you find the information you need to begin your new life.
Using the second approach you offer your loved one a partnership in healing that will help them become more heart aware and to make choices that will support and nurture their health. We all respond more favorably to a helping hand offered with a generous spirit. Be the friend you would want to have in your corner if you were the one on the other side of the fence. Two heart-healthy minds are always better than one.
– Kac Young , a former television director and producer, has earned a Ph.D. in Natural Health and is a Doctor of both Clinical Hypnotherapy and Naturopathy. She is the author 10 books. Heart Easy is a system of nutritionally sound, delicious meals that promote heart health, long life and taste great. Traditional recipes are turned into heart healthy meals that anyone can make. The health results are outstanding.