By Helen Agresti R.D.
This time of year brings shorter days and less time to prepare healthy meals at home. I try my best to prepare dinner at least 5 nights a week. However, without proper planning, home cooking doesn’t always happen.
I wish I could use the most common excuse of not having enough time in my day but let’s face it, there’s plenty of time in our day for something this important. Especially on Sundays, there’s sufficient time to execute a game plan for the week ahead.
There’s nights during the week that are filled with client meetings and kids activities which makes the idea of ordering out very enticing. Convenience food is everywhere and it certainly contributes to the rising rates of obesity, heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, certain cancers and other health related disorders. With that in the forefront of our minds, here are a few one-dish wonders that will satisfy you and your healthy family:
Healthy Baked Chicken Marsala
No-stick cooking spray
4 chicken breasts
1/4 c white cooking wine
1/4 c marsala cooking wine
1 medium shallot, finely chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Spray casserole dish with no-stick.
3. Pour half the white and marsala wine in the casserole dish.
4. Sprinkle half the onion, garlic, rosemary, and salt on top of wine.
5. Place chicken breast on top.
6. Pour the remainder of the white and marsala wine over top of chicken.
7. Sprinkle the remainder of the onion, garlic, rosemary, and salt on chicken.
8. Bake 20-25 min. or until internal temp of chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
*If you have time, allow the chicken to marinate in a Ziploc bag with all the ingredients prior to baking.
Waist Slimming Quinoa Salad
• 3 cups Quinoa, cooked
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze
• 1/2 c seedless cucumber, diced
• 1 avocado, diced
• 1 mango, diced
• 1/3 c cilantro, finely chopped
• 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
• 1 lemon, juiced
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Combine all ingredients. Serve warm or cold.
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 (3-4 lb.) store bought rotisserie chicken, skin removed, meat shredded
• 1 (32 oz.) box fat-free and low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 (14.5 oz.) cans chopped stewed tomatoes
• 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
• 1 (4 oz.) can green chilies, chopped
• 1/2 cup salsa (mild)
• 1/2 cup salsa conqueso (medium)
• 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
• 1 Tablespoon cumin, ground
• 2 cups Mexican cheese
• light sour cream
• tortilla strips
1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker except cheese, sour cream, and chips.
2. Cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top with sour cream, cheese and chips.
Healthy and Happy Eating!
– Helen Agresti is a Registered Dietitian with Professional Nutrition Consulting, LLC. She lives in Pennsylvania with her husband and 5 children. For more Nutrition advice and healthy recipes follow her on twitter @HelenAgresti and on the web www.pronutritionconsulting.com