1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
My name is Liz Benda and I am 37 years old. I am a personal trainer and own my own training business with my husband Ethan. We are independent contractors out of Impact Fitness gym in Kansas City.
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
My parents were very into eating well. My mom always cooked healthy dinners and packed my lunch for school every day. My step-dad was also into working out and did so at home every morning. However, I would say that my interest in fitness and eating well on a regular basis came later in life. As a kid, I took ballet lessons and rode horses and I quit sometime during high school. In high school, I was a smoker and didn’t workout at all. I probably ate crappy food twice a day at best. Somewhere in college, I decided that I needed some muscle and started to go to the gym. I tried everything, running, swimming, kickboxing classes, weight lifting, you name it. I fell in love with working out and quit smoking.
3. What did they do to inspire you?
I would say that my horseback riding instructor was more influential than my parents. She taught me to push myself and be competitive. I was a pretty shy kid and I don’t think I had any idea I was capable of that until I met her. The knowledge of what it is to push yourself physically and mentally is something that I carried with me for the rest of my life. It not only applies to the gym, but life in general.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
Carol changed my life because she instilled in me the belief that I can do it and also the desire to work to do better.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
Yes, I have a step-son. I don’t get a lot of time with him, but it is nice for him to see his father and me working to improve ourselves and be healthy and help others to do so as well.
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
My message would be to not be afraid to try new things and to not underestimate the power you have within to make things happen for yourself. If you want it bad enough and know where to look for guidance to help you make it happen, you can make it a reality.
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?